Friday, January 27, 2012

When buying US Mint proof coins, what is the most common grading?

Say I want to buy a Golden or Silver Eagle, ordered straight from the US Mint's website. What is the likelyhood that the coin will be PR-69 or PR-70 ???



Do I need to buy "First Strike" coins to guarantee this kind of grading? I'd be very disappointed if I spent that much on a collectible, and it turned out to only be PR-65.

When buying US Mint proof coins, what is the most common grading?
There is always the chance of a coin from the mint being in a PR-65. These days that is highly unlikely, but a possibility. Also it is possible to get a PR-65 first strike coin. I would say that the first strike coins may have a better strike, for the die has not worn down, but that does not mean other things can not happen, such as marks on the coin. I do not collect very much modern coins, but do have some nice commemorative coins from the mint as well as a run of proof sets. I have noticed the quality rise over the years from 1950 to 2007. I myself would never pay more for a first strike coin. I think it is a gimmick. One thing to remember, it will take quite a while to get your money back buying bullion coins. Another is, a grade given by a grading service is their opinion and they can be wrong. Sorry I could not answer your question with a yes they will be PR-69,70. In most likely hood they should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment